Welcome to the =VX9= Gaming Community.

User Tag List

Corporal

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Texas Salsa, or what is commonly called chilli

I love food, I am a big foodie.. so i ran across some salsa (chilli) that I really enjoy and usually make way hotter then most will eat. its not for those who do not like some sweat off their brow while eating it. of coarse like anything you can calm it down by subtracting a pepper or two, or just by removing all the seeds out of the peppers to get the warmth you like. its a sweet hot with a hint of salt salsa. very good.

Ingredients;
    6 Jalapeno peppers - I usually use 4 without seeds and two with depending on how strong the aroma is while bringing them up to a boil. explained further later

Serrano Peppers - I also use 4 serrano peppers and do two with seeds and two without seeds just like the jalapenos are done with the process. I like the
    added heat and flavor they give to mix.

4 or 5 fresh or as fresh sweet tomatoes - you can grow, buy, or get.. Please don't steel them out of the neighbors garden.. he might get a little upset.

1 white, or yellow onion - I like white stronger heat usually. I think yellow sweeter. again your desire

1 clove of garlic - usually break off a 3 of the pieces, smash and cut into a smaller chunks. smashing allows for the flavor to blend in the boiling process.

cilantro - totally optional, some like it some don't, you just chop the leafy end up and add to your desire, usually not too much because it can be
    over powering.

salt and pepper - of coarse. I usually add lots of pepper, and add salt more the taste of the chips being used, I have done unsalted chips and the usually
    restaurant style white corn chips or scoops. your desire really..

mixer- you will need a mixer to salsa mix the final stages with everything in it that is when you will add the pepper, and desired salt level with the taste of the chips. yes taste test..

Preparations;

Tomatoes - put into a pot large enough to allow them to float. Add water till they float, add uncut peppers whole to pot as well, bring up to a boil for about 2 or 3 minutes max and let
    cool in pot after dumping water out so you can remove skins. remove peppers onto cutting board to cool so you can cut them at this point.

when your prepping peppers - (DO NOT TOUCH EYES DURING OR AFTER CUTTING THEM) it really hurts. I usually de-seed 3 or 4 and leave rest whole to bring to a boil later on.
    Add peppers to above pot after removing seeds and cut all in halves for what I call the blending process or cooks use terms of marrying.

Onion - dice into 1/4 inch pieces to start off with, add to pot with tomatoes and peppers. when done, don't forget to remove outer skin layer, never know who is reading this..

Garlic - after smashing and cutting again into 1/2 inch chunks or 1/4 inch your desire, add to the above pot

cilantro - if you want some, if you buy a bundle you only need like half max unless you want a strong flavor, cut the leafy ends and dice up small as to cook in the pot.

Salt and pepper will be added in the mixer to desired flavor to blend with chip after blending the rest of the salsa to desired thickness. let the taste testing begin.

Final cooking;

start cutting the peppers after cooling on cutting board. de-skin all tomatoes and throw skins away, rest mash and brake apart in same pot so to extract the juices and
    solids. don't go nuts on it try to juice them down to nothing. you want the solids for thickness. something to stay on chips later. after tomatoes are skinned,
    add all ingredients, but salt and pepper after they are prepped. bring up to a boil again and then
    down to a simmer for about 30 seconds and then off. add hot ingredients to the mixer not spilling anything out, cover with lid, using salsa setting on low mix it up. after
    getting close to the desired thickness, taste with chip, then start the adding of salt and pepper to desired amount to blend with the chips. should have a bit a sweet flavor
    and a bite on the tongue and maybe even some on the back of the lips. some at first and some later.
    Its ready enjoy.

If you get too carried away with the heat, you can do a queso (pronounced caso) cheese mix by dicing queso cheese into a bowl and adding some salsa to the cheese heating in the microwave for about 4 minutes not to burn but melt the cheese, its usually a fine line. then pull out mixing in taste testing, and adding more salsa as desired for flavor and heat. again its ready and enjoy. I was taught this by several people without the second boiling, but I like the the added step because its starts the blending process and brings the flavors out more. (at least to me.) good luck guys and gals. and the peppers can be de-seeded to cool down the temp, but to keep the pepper flavor use same amount of peppers. thank you and I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Love it. Gotta try this..

India Company XO
    India Company Recruiter
    =VX9= One Team Credit (OTC) Bean Counter and Bank Teller
    =VX9= Awards Department

Sergeant

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U forgetting cornbread!!!!

Warrant Officer 1

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna try making some smoked salsa this fall....may have to try this one as well.
    WO1.ArmyAl=VX9=
    R- Remember
    E- Everyone
    D- Deployed

Remember our Troops....Wear RED on Fridays

Mentioned
    1935 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    use tomatillos as well

Warrant Officer 1

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew my own Tomatillos a few years ago, they made great salsa and loved their aroma
    WO1.ArmyAl=VX9=
    R- Remember
    E- Everyone
    D- Deployed

Remember our Troops....Wear RED on Fridays

Master Sergeant

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to grind presmoked brisket and a Hershey bar to my chili

Mentioned
    1935 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    add a couple of tomatillos and a bit of cumin .

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @bubbastump he's talking about salsa. Not actual chili. Also, I say put beans in chili. If you don't agree, then you're wrong.

India Company XO
    India Company Recruiter
    =VX9= One Team Credit (OTC) Bean Counter and Bank Teller
    =VX9= Awards Department

Inactive

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm sounds good mate Ill have to see if i can get a hold of jalapenos here in oz but i do grow my own birdseye chillis i might give them a run first.